Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Grand Promenade! Or, for the common folk, just Prom.

Hey everyone!
So I thought I'd post about something that's a huge deal for many people my age; the grand event held at the end of each school year that we refer to as Prom.

This was an enormously important event for all of my friends and classmates, but honestly... I wasn't too excited for it. The theme, which was chosen by the underclassmen, was quite cheesy and overdone. (Really, Juniors? A Night of Elegance? That's not even a real theme!) I knew the DJ was going to be terrible, as I'd witnessed his... er, talent once before. The location was difficult to find and much too small. It seemed as if all the hype for my senior prom was undeserved, in my opinion.

Tack on the fact that one ticket was sixty dollars, and I'm sold.

Long story short, I didn't see the point in attending an event I knew I wouldn't enjoy. So I didn't go.

...Wait, what?!


Yes. My presence was sorely missed at my school's Senior Prom. And it's not a decision I regret! The event was on Saturday, and while I was at home watching a fabulous array of horror films, most of my schoolmates were either lost while trying to find their way to the event, or having a horrible time listening to the DJ that had music more appropriate for middle school. (I'm not exaggerating, by the way. You should have heard the complaints people gave me at school today.)

Granted, that's not the only reason I avoided attending the event. I'm a a bit of a penny-pincher, and sixty dollars didn't seem a reasonable price for something so mediocre. I've also never understood why girls spend upwards of $200 dollars on a dress they'll only wear once in their lives. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for quality clothing and whatnot, but I just don't get why anyone would spend so much on a piece that's going to collect dust afterwards.

Long story short, I didn't attend. And I found out today that it was the right decision to stay home. The best comment I heard about it all day was that it was "better than lying at home and doing nothing". (I beg to differ, Vicky, but I quite enjoyed doing nothing.)


I'm sure most Proms going on were fantastic, and I'm sure most of you reading this are shaking your heads at me thinking, "This girl is mad." Well, maybe I am. But that's not always a terrible thing. Anyway, I made sure that I wasn't missing out on getting to party one last time with all my friends before school is over. There's another event held at our school known as the Senior Banquet, and it's basically a slightly less uptight version of Prom. It's held in the school cafeteria, so it's obviously more casual, but the general idea is the same.

Students arrive dolled up and lovely-looking, food and drink is provided in an adorable arrangement, and a much better DJ gives us great music to dance the night away with.

Senior Banquet's ticket is $10, by the way. So, obviously, I went with the cheaper ticket.

The banquet is next Friday, and I'm calling it "Mini-Prom". I already have my dress and am super excited for it, as it's held right after the last day of High School. Way to celebrate, right?!

I'll have another post up discussing what occurs then, but for now, I'll leave you with a picture of just one possible downside to Prom:


You see! Prom is dangerous, everyone!

I'm kidding. Honestly, I think I'm just a little bitter because afterward all of my friends went cosmic bowling without me. Sigh.


Okay, that is all. Apologies if this was a huge waste of your time, but thanks for reading, Lovelies!

Ciao for now! x

No comments:

Post a Comment