Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Electra Heart: A Definite YAY.


Oh, Marina... Y U SO GREAT?!

Marina and the Diamonds released her second studio album, Electra Heart, on the 27th of April. I absolutely had to get my hands on it, seeing as her first album was so fantastic. (The Family Jewels)

Let me tell you all something: I was not disappointed. Electra Heart has character and sass and emotion all rolled into one fantastic album. It seems as if almost every track on it is centered on the whole theme of selfishness and imperfection within oneself. Marina has the unique talent of being able to attract mainstream audiences while still steering clear of mindless lyrics.

Each track is intelligent and truthful in it's own right, while still remaining witty and entertaining. Dear god... you guys! I'm not kidding when I tell you this: I got the album the day it came out, and I've yet to stop listening to it. It's constantly on loop in my MP3, and I don't think it'll be replaced anytime soon. 

I don't know why, but the first song, Bubblegum Bitch, is not my personal favorite. It's quite catchy and upbeat, but it's just not my usual cup of tea. Surprisingly, though, its cutthroat lyrics have drawn me in recently, and it's fast growing on me. 

It's quite hard to choose some of the more outstanding tracks on Electra Heart, but I've managed to pick and choose a few of my favorites:

*Primadonna. I guarantee you that while listening to it, you'll feel you have the right to demand all of your wishes be met and that everyone treat you like a queen. It validates being a bitch.

*Lies. Unlike most of the songs on this album, Lies is all about vulnerability and heartbreak. It's the perfect background music for a night of sobs over ex-boyfriends and buckets of ice-cream.

*Power and Control. "You may be good-looking, but you're not a piece of art." I tell ya, this song is smart and super catchy at the same time. That's rare, and that's absolutely wonderful. 

Again, these are just a few of the songs on the album. If I could, I'd give a lengthy review of each track and go through the many possible themes behind each one. Why? Because I'm a weirdo  and enjoy doing things like that. 

I won't torture you all, though. Just trust me when I tell you that Electra Heart could not be a bigger success. If you haven't already bought it, I highly stress that you do so. Now. 

Right, that's all at the moment. Thank you for reading, lovelies. 

Ciao for now! x


2 comments:

  1. i have not heard any of the new songs but i do love her old ones x
    http://makeupbyelysa.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely take a listen! Her new songs are equally as fantastic as her older ones.

      I took a look at your blog, by the way! It's fantastic, and you've got yourself a new follower. :) x

      Delete